Originally published December 2014, updated December 2016
Just as your vehicle needs regular service to ensure that everything is operating correctly, your heating and cooling equipment should be inspected and adjusted to achieve optimum performance. You might choose to put off that service for your vehicle, but you know that there could be serious consequences in the long run. Similarly, failing to maintain the HVAC system in your Colleen, Virginia, home regularly, can lead to serious problems. By choosing a preventive maintenance plan, you can take advantage of timely service and get access to important support solutions throughout the year.
Optimization of HVAC Systems
HVAC maintenance enables you to begin the season with reliable and efficient service from your home comfort equipment. You can reap numerous benefits from regular preventive care, including:
- Improved efficiency – annual efficiency loss for normal system use can be five percent or more and a tuneup can counteract this loss.
- Identification of faulty parts – a mechanical system experiences wear over time, and regular HVAC maintenance allows for worn out or broken parts to be repaired or replaced as needed.
- Averting system problems – regular maintenance can reduce the potential for a later breakdown by as much as 95 percent. While it is impossible to avoid all HVAC repair, preventive care can save a lot of money on unanticipated heating and cooling emergencies.
- HVAC safety – heating equipment that operates through the combustion of fuel can pose a safety risk through carbon monoxide (CO) leaks, making annual inspections a crucial safety measure for your household.
- Longevity of your equipment – you can expect approximately 14 years of service from a heat pump or air conditioner and approximately 20 years of service from a furnace. Regular maintenance reduces the risk of early equipment failures and costly upgrade needs.
A maintenance plan allows you to take care of your equipment and identify problems early. You will be able to manage your home comfort levels effectively throughout the year.
What Does a Maintenance Visit Entail?
Preventive maintenance involves a thorough inspection of your system. Your technician will perform services including:
- Inspecting all parts, noting those that may need to be replaced or repaired
- Lubricating moving parts
- Cleaning blower motors and parts
- Cleaning condenser and evaporator coils in an air conditioner or heat pump
- Inspecting and cleaning drainage systems
- Testing refrigerant levels in an air conditioner or heat pump
- Inspecting and cleaning heat exchangers
- Inspecting and testing pilot and igniter
- Testing electronic components and system controls
- Calibrating thermostat as needed
- Evaluating airflow
- Tightening loose fittings and connections
- Evaluating combustion systems for CO levels
How Is a Maintenance Plan Helpful?
It is easy to forget about maintenance when temperatures are mild and other needs are pressing. However, failure to have your system’s tuneup completed prior to weather changes can lead to unexpected problems. A system that has a failing part, for example, might malfunction during initial use. However, preventive maintenance allows such an issue to be identified and corrected early.
Maintenance plans provide our customers with access to priority service and related benefits. Customers who sign up for our plans can receive discounts on a variety of products and services.
Taking Care of Our Valued Customers
Ducts can result in a significant loss of energy if leaks are present. Dirt and leaks can affect the health of persons in your household. A proactive maintenance plan will include duct inspections. We will let you know if you need duct repairs or duct cleaning.
Preventive maintenance will enhance the performance of your system and extend its life. However, when it’s time for a replacement, our technicians can help to make the decision and the process a lot easier. We will provide an overview of the costs and savings involved in an upgrade. Call W.E. Brown, Inc. today at (434) 295-1177 to schedule a consultation for HVAC maintenance. Our team is ready to help meet your HVAC repair and maintenance needs today.